Disclaimer

All (or perhaps most) of the content of this blog is fiction and is to be used for entertainment only.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A Mission - pt 5 Captivity

So, Yah, I guess you could call me a Tree Lover, but it really is a misfortune to be continually crashing into trees.  When I revived again it was by being roughly shaken by Jared.  Coale and I marched along between the two juniors (Jared's companion's name was Barney.) Coale had a slight injury in his leg but he exaggerated it to the utmost, limping along most painfully.  It was for this reason that he was not watched as closely as I, though I doubt not that had I escaped, the PAMonians and pan-rearmed man would take the pursuit easily, being sure that I would crash into a tree and so fall into their hands again.

It was while we were crossing a bridge that spanned a small river.  Coale's bad limp, and my bruised head, slowed our pace along with that of our guards.  We were about ten paces behind the others when Coale surprised Barney by tripping him, and diving off the bridge he disappeared from sight.  I tried to take advantage of the distraction and escape, but... let's just say that I realized why I did not choose chasing criminals over journalism.  At the splash, the head PAM soldier and my initial attacker (named Phil and Daren respectively) turned to see what had caused it (it was at this moment that I made my attempted escape,)  I tripped Jared, but he was not only more agile than Barney, but was also cool headed and knew his duty which he preformed in thwacking me over the head with his stout walking stick.  The blow knocked me off my feet, and I was pounced upon before I could get up.  I decided then that I would not try to escape any more, as I now had a severe head-ache.

Phil and Barney searched up the river for Coale, while Jared and Daren took the opposite side of the bridge, dragging me along with them.  I went as slow as possible without receiving the kicks which Daren apparently delighted to bestow, I did this partly due to the fact that I was not able to walk fast at all, and partly to give Coale more time to escape.  After a quarter of an hour with no luck, we heard the sound of Phil's whistle, the signal to stop hunting and return.  When we got back to the bridge, Phil and Barney were waiting for us. Phil reprimanded Daren for taking so long to return saying, "We've been waiting seven minutes for you Daren Shanty, next time you dally, I'll cut your pay by half!"  Daren, in turn, gave me a hard kick and muttered, "If it weren't for you we'd've been here before him." but he didn't say more.  Phil shackled my wrist to that of Jared, gave Barney Jared's stick telling him to whack me if I lagged, and set out in front with long strides which were difficult to keep up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment