Disclaimer

All (or perhaps most) of the content of this blog is fiction and is to be used for entertainment only.

Thursday, January 13, 2011

A Mission - pt 4 Increased Attack

As you may have guessed, the pounding steps I heard were those of my pursuer.  He, on losing Coale, decided to get away from the shadows where he might be conked over the head just as well as he might be able to conk Coale.  The moment I was down therefore, he was upon me.  Quick as anything he bound and gagged me and lifting me up to his shoulder, threw me into the ditch.  That aroused me and I opened my eyes to see Coale, coolly as ever, fighting with the pan armed bully.  I heard a movement behind me so I turned my head to see what it was.

Three brawny soldiers of PAM were creeping up from the woods.  Their leader motioned for one of them to guard me while he and the other crept up the side of the ditch to the edge of the road. Lying concealed behind a bush, they watched the fight, evidently enjoying the scene.  I struggled to warn Coale of the impending danger, but my guard drew his dagger and motioned me to be still.  All I could do was to remain silent, and hope that one of the PAM would make a noise.  My wish was granted, but granted too late.  Coale had just managed to dodge a blow from the pan, and feigning a drawback, got his attacker to rush forward.  Coale launched himself with all his strength in a dive for his opponent's legs.  The momentum which carried him forward, and the sudden stop of his feet caused the man to topple over.  Coale was on top of him in an instant, holding him down and trying to wrest the pan from his grip when I saw them move.

Coale must have seen them too... or at least heard them, for he swung around grasping the newly earned pan to measure the situation.  This was all un-panned man needed, with a sudden effort, he dislodged Coale and sprang to his feet.  Coale backed against the tree which had proved so troublesome to me (in the act of stopping my escape,) and watched his three opponents gathering for the attack.  With the impetuosity of youth, the junior of the two PAM soldiers attacking rushed upon Coale, receiving a blow from the pan that sent him insensible into the ditch not five feet from us.  Jared, as was the name on my guard's name plate, evidently thought his limp friend was capable of guarding me and went to join the fray.  Two or three minutes of grunting and mumbling and scuffling and other noises ensued in which I occupied myself in untying my bonds which had been tied hastily indeed.  I was just rising to my feet to assist Coale in escaping when to my dismay, the battle ended.  I ran for it, but in looking back to see if I was followed, I ran into another tree!

No comments:

Post a Comment