Disclaimer

All (or perhaps most) of the content of this blog is fiction and is to be used for entertainment only.

Friday, June 17, 2011

A Mission - pt 14 A possibility of escape

  I was sitting in my cell with Jared, playing Chess.  I had his queen in a death trap that would only cost me a Bishop, two Pawns, and a Knight, when there was a tapping on the Tree.  I knew that it was probably Lan Leaffy, and wondering what it could mean, I started to ask Jared why he thought Lan would be tapping.
  "What do y-" but he stopped me with a,
  "Shh, it is Morse Code, let me decipher it." That cut me short, and when the tapping stopped, I asked him what Morse Code was.
  "It is a way of communicating using short and long pulses that was invented before telephones came out." Once again, I was reminded of the vast technological barrier between PAM, and the Kingdom of Meltolot.
  "Well, anyway, what does he say?"
  "He says that he has a message for you.  I'll go and get it."
  "Thanks, but- are you going to tell your boss?"
  "Well, I wouldn't want to get into disfavor, but this time I will keep it a secret."
At that moment, the tapping resumed, but Jared crossed the room and with a few knocks and taps, apparently told Lan that he was coming.

  When Jared returned, he gave me a slip of paper, and after putting away the unfinished Chess game, he told me he that it was his turn on watch.  He left hurriedly and forgot to bar the door.
  I looked down at the piece of paper in my hand, and in old Meltolonian read the following:
          "Dear Mr. Newston and fellow Prisoner, I came to the knowledge that it
        was you who was  stored in cell 2 only this  morning by a sneering remark
        made by  that devil Creakle.   It  has also  come to  my knowledge ( by the 
        same source,) that the famous Coale Janterbel was was also captured, but
        escaped off Nelly's Bridge. On a different note, I have noticed that this tree
        is  hollow,  and if you could  get a hold  of a good saw, we could make our
        escape and get back to the City.  Maybe you could get Jared to help a bit." 
  This communication restored me to my courage, and realizing my cell door was not barred, I sneaked out to try to find the storerooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment