Disclaimer

All (or perhaps most) of the content of this blog is fiction and is to be used for entertainment only.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A Mission - pt 8 A Secret Hideout...

The path was high in the trees, varying from about thirty to forty feet above the forest floor, the width was narrow, and the night was dark.  It was with difficulty and a beating heart that I made my way along behind Jared, feeling in front of me with my feet and keeping my hand tight on the light rope that made up the hand rails. Barney had given up all attempts to keep me in line, he was on all fours, groping his way forward, a full six yards behind Phil, Daren, Jared, and I.  He was evidently quite afraid of midnight travelling over old boards and frail ropes suspended forty feet in the air above thick branches and vegetation.

After going a short time, we came to a wide sprawling tree in which a large tree house was built.  You couldn't call it a children's play house at any stretch, no, it was an abode, a fortress just as grim and formidable as the surrounding forest.  We descended a short ladder and found ourselves in an entry way lit with dim lanterns.  I was able to see more clearly the thick rough boards bored through with loop holes which made up the outside walls of the structure.  My attention was drawn however more directly to a particular loop hole as I saw the barrel of a gun protruding from it, and a sharp whiny voice demand who we were in irritable, jerky tones.  I had for so long heard no human voice that the sound of this one startled me.  I shivered.  Phil told the man at guard who he was, and we were promptly let in.  When we were all in, Phil released me from Jared and pointed to the corner, I obeyed, glad for a rest as I had walked over seventy miles that day, enough to drive any man to bed.

In glancing about the room, I observed the man who challenged us lighting a row of lanterns.  As he finished the task, he turned, regarding me with an oily smile, it was the first time I had seen his face as he had begun the lantern lighting immediately after releasing the door latch.  Or was it... I started and shuddered on recognizing the evil face at the window of the Lonely Motel.
"I see you remember me News Boy, I regret that your friend decided to decline our hospitality."  I made no reply, but my face reddened with anger, I hated being called News Boy.
"We have another guest of honor, perhaps you know him?"  He was evidently trying to get me to talk, but I made no move to do so.  My tormentor continued in his mock deference, saying to Jared who alone had remained in the room, the others having passed out through another door, "Here Jared, please take our distinguished visitor to his rooms, suite two I think." He then made me a respectful bow and left through a third door.

No comments:

Post a Comment